It’s been a while since we’ve talked about the A’s, mostly because their offseason has been less than eventful. But today there was some news. Mark Mulder will join CSN California as a color analyst.
The former A’s lefty starter will call 20 games with Glen Kuiper (Ray Fosse remains the team’s primary color analyst), which means he’ll be in the same role as Scott Hatteberg (2012-13) and Eric Chavez (2015). Shooty Babbitt has subbed in occasionally for Fosse as well.
From CSN California’s press statement:
“Mark’s popularity with A’s fans and his deep knowledge of the game make him a perfect fit to join a broadcast team that is already one of the best in baseball,” said David Koppett, senior executive producer of live events, CSN Bay Area and CSN California. “We’re excited to add Mark’s insight to the terrific work of Glen Kuiper and Ray Fosse.”
Mulder joined ESPN in 2011, calling some games and working as a studio analyst for Baseball Tonight. He attempted a comeback with the Angels in 2014 that was cut short when he ruptured his Achilles.
Since we’re here, we might as well go over what the A’s have done this offseason.
- LHP Drew Pomeranz, LHP Jose Torres and a player to be named to San Diego for LHP Marc Rzepczynski and 1B Yonder Alonso.
- RHP Arnold Leon to Toronto for a player to be named later or cash
Four new free agents
- LHP Rich Hill (one-year, $6 million contract)
- RHP Ryan Madson (three-year, $22 million contract)
- RHP John Axford (two-year, $10 million contract)
- RHP Henderson Alvarez (one-year, $4.25 million contract)
Nine agreed to one-year contracts
- LHP Felix Doubront ($2 million)
- 2B Eric Sogard ($1.5 million)
- OF Sam Fuld ($1.93 million)
- OF Andrew Lambo (claimed from Pirates)
- 1B Yonder Alonso ($2.65 million)
- LHP Marc Rzepczynski ($2.95 million)
- 3B Danny Valencia ($3.15 million)
- OF Josh Reddick ($6.575 million)
- RHP Fernando Rodriguez ($1.05 million)
Four were either designated for assignment or weren’t tendered a contract
- OF Craig Gentry (DFA – assigned to Nashville)
- LHP Fernando Abad (DFA – assigned to Nashville)
- RHP A.J. Griffin (DFA – released)
- 1B Ike Davis (not tendered)
Summary: A couple of calculated gambles on starting pitchers with talent and injury concerns (Hill and Alvarez), a lot of bullpen help, and Alonso is this year’s “maybe we’ll luck out and finally find a first baseman we like.”