Major League Baseball released their 2013 top-selling jerseys this morning, and in the least-shocking news of the day, Buster Posey was the top of the list.
The complete top-20 list, courtesy of Alex Pavlovic, features two more San Francisco stars:
1. Buster Posey, San Francisco Giants
2. Mariano Rivera, New York Yankees
3. Yadier Molina, St. Louis Cardinals
4. David Wright, New York Mets
5. Matt Harvey, New York Mets
6. Bryce Harper, Washington Nationals
7. Derek Jeter, New York Yankees
8. Manny Machado, Baltimore Orioles
9. Mike Trout, LA Angels of Anaheim
10. Yasiel Puig, Los Angeles Dodgers
11. Hyun-Jin Ryu, Los Angeles Dodgers
12. Miguel Cabrera, Detroit Tigers
13. Dustin Pedroia, Boston Red Sox
14. Matt Kemp, Los Angeles Dodgers
15. Clayton Kershaw, Los Angeles Dodgers
16. Sergio Romo, San Francisco Giants
17. Andrew McCutchen, Pittsburgh Pirates
18. Yu Darvish, Texas Rangers
19. Pablo Sandoval, San Francisco Giants
20. Justin Verlander, Detroit Tigers
A few thoughts:
– Oh look, Pablo Sandoval gets the best of Justin Verlander yet again!
– Although players like Posey, Verlander, Mariano Rivera and Yadier Molina are established stars, there seems to be a youth movement invading the list. Bryce Harper (6th) and Mike Trout (9th) jumped on the scene last year, Matt Harvey (5th) this year and Yasiel Puig is 10th despite only playing 35 games this season.
– I saw a guy wearing a Puig jersey when I was on vacation last weekend and said, “You just couldn’t wait, huh?” He told me he bought it a week after Puig got called up. Dodgers fans are excited about this guy, and I’m willing to bet if the MLB released a second list at the end of the season he would be considerably higher.
– I’m sure Sergio Romo will find a way out of his recent struggles, both on and off the field, but his comments both to and about the media have made things a little awkward around here.
– At least there’s Posey, right Giants fans? At least there’s Posey….