It looks like Tim Lincecum will go back to his role as a super-sub, as Bruce Bochy announced his World Series pitching rotation this evening at AT&T Park.
Okay, that doesn’t tell the whole story…
So the pitching matchups should look like this:
- Game 1 (Oct. 24): Justin Verlander vs. Barry Zito
- Game 2 (Oct. 25): Doug Fister vs. Madison Bumgarner
- Game 3 (Oct. 27): Anibal Sanchez vs. Ryan Vogelsong
- Game 4 (Oct. 28): Max Scherzer vs. Matt Cain
- Game 5 (Oct. 29)*: Verlander vs. Zito
- Game 6 (Oct. 31)*: Fister vs. Bumgarner
- Game 7 (Nov. 1)*: Sanchez vs. Vogelsong
* If necessary
There was some doubt whether we’d see Bumgarner pitch again in 2012, as he hasn’t looked sharp in over two months and his velocity has dipped noticeably as of late. According to Bumgarner, things have changed since his disastrous start in Game 1 of the NLCS, when he allowed six earned runs, eight hits and two home runs over 3.2 innings.
If Bumgarner can’t get rolling again, Lincecum will be right behind him. Bochy also has the option of using the two-time Cy Young winner in any of the games in Detroit, where the cold weather should be to Lincecum’s liking.
Also interesting is Matt Cain only getting one potential World Series start. Bochy could have moved Cain up to start in Game 3 on normal rest, but it’s hard to fault the decision to go with Vogelsong, who has been the Giants’ best starting pitcher throughout the postseason.
Will this rotation setup lead Bochy to leave off a reliever and add a position player, or will he go with the same 25 guys he used in the NLDS and NLCS? Stay tuned…