by: Sports Girl Liz
After the 49ers lost to the NY Giants in the NFC Championship game, BASG and I both loudly declared: NO! WE WON’T EVEN WATCH THE STUPID SUPER BOWL THIS YEAR!!! GRRR!!! ANGRY NOISES!!!!!
But alas, it would be truly un-American to skip. Plus, being in ad sales, I have to watch the commercials for my career … or something.
So, we’ll be watching with disinterest and anger – waiting for multiple Manning Faces and a total destruction of the NY Giants* – who shouldn’t really be there anyways. Angry noises!!!
(Editor’s note: SGL’s Super Bowl predictions are not necessarily shared by BASG, Bay Area Sports Guy Enterprises, Esq., and the Mom’s Basement Sports Network.)
To go along with our awesome attitudes, I will be preparing food to match our mental states. For all you angry 49ers fans out there, these are my Super Bowl party recommendations. Extra points for bringing them over to the home of a bandwagon NY Giants or Patriots fan.
Manning Open-Faced Sandwiches
A delightful platter of open-faced sandwiches heated in the oven to create that cheesy and melt-your-heart sappiness that is the result of a true Manning Face. Add onions for the crying effect.
– 1 Loaf Acme Sourdough – sliced
– Extra Virgin Olive oil
– 1 tomato (sliced)
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Sliced cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- Spread the olive oil on top of the slices of bread and cover with sliced tomatoes, salt and pepper. Finally, top it off with some cheese.
- Broil until the cheese is melted, about 2-5 minutes.
49ers Lost and I need a Jello Shot NOW!
To help ease the lingering pain, here’s a fun and tingly champagne jello shot that will enhance your laughter over Manning Face and remind us all of better times and the new season to come. And yes, Tom Brady’s level of attractiveness will increase with the number of shots you take, which will lead you to purchase Ugg boots for men. Sorry!
– 1 box of jello – orange or strawberry
– 1 bottle of champagne – value at $12 or higher (avoid headaches!)
– 1 set of small paper or dixie cups – able to peel open
- Put sparkling wine in fridge at least 2 hours before use.
- Boil 2 cups of water. Once boiled, pour water into large bowl with jello mix.
- Once jello mixture has cooled down, add 3 cups of cold sparkling wine. I’ve tried this before, and yes, it does solidify with all the sparkling wine called for.
- Spoon out jello mixture into individual cups. Keep in fridge until jello has set (around 5 hours).
- Drink excess champagne immediately.
Mini Tony Romo Pinkies in a Blanket
Because why not? 49ers fans hate the Cowboys – no harm in poking a little fun at their bwoken widdle fingeys while we’re at it.
– Little Smokies sausage
– Crescent roll
– Parmesean Cheese
– Garlic salt
- Preheat oven according to directions on crescent roll package.
- Unroll but leave intact 2 triangles of crescent rolls.
- Pinch seam together and cut lengthwise into 5 strips and then cross-wise to make 10 strips.
- Roll each strip around one sausage and place in baking pan sprayed with non-stick cooking oil.
- Sprinkle each pinkie with parmesan and garlic salt.
- Bake according to crescent roll package directions.
Sports Girl Liz is wife to BASG and occasional contributor to the site. She is a Giants, 49ers and Warriors fan but has a special place in her heart for the Washington Huskies. You can follow her on Twitter @SportsGirlLiz