Don’t laugh, it’s a move so totally Warriors and Don Nelson that I wouldn’t be shocked at all if it occurs. Why? Check out these five reasons:
1. He’ll put the proverbial butts in the seats. Not that attendance has been a problem for the Warriors over the years, even with the putrid crap they’ve put on the floor for the vast majority of the last 15 years, but that’s going to change a bit. People are poor, the Warriors are now known as a more dysfunctional and future-less club than the Los Angeles Clippers, and soon fans will finally make good on their threats to boycott Oracle Arena until Chris Cohan sells the team.
2. Iverson is a combo guard with a questionable attitude. C’mon, how much more of a match could he be?
3. Nobody else wants him (not even the Knicks), which could make him pretty cheap. Iverson says he wants to either start or play for a winning team. Nellie would probably start him over Stephen Curry just for shits and giggles.
4. Not sure if you noticed, but the Warriors are pretty short on non-injured players right now. Once Raja Bell goes under the knife, the Warriors will have about three healthy players at their disposal.
5. Ask anyone who follows the Warriors or basketball in general, and you would have trouble saying the situation in Oakland could get any worse. Nelson is feuding with his best player, the young talent is spending more time counting the days to free agency than actually playing real NBA games, and Chris Cohan seems as firmly entrenched as Warriors owner as Chris Berman is on ESPN. Signing Iverson would make this season even worse for the Warriors, who after adding Iverson would be even more lost. Could you imagine the first Nellie/Iverson fight in the press over broken promises?
C’mon Warriors, sign Iverson. If you’re going to go down in flames, you might as well soak yourselves in gasoline.