You can have Anna Kournikova, I’ve always been a Martina Hingis fan. It’s not that I have a thing for big foreheads — Tyra Banks is my least favorite non-criminal in the world. I don’t know if it was because I’ve always been a brunettes-over-blondes guy, Hingis’ slightly bratty personality or the fact that she was an incredible tennis player for a few years, but I always had a soft spot for the Swiss miss with the crazy mom.
Now Hingis is coming back. Sort of. She’s playing World TeamTennis, which apparently is a semi-pro league run by Billie Jean King, where famous tennis players who need something to do can play matches and make money without traveling all over the place. I’m pretty sure, anyway. Really, what she’s doing is getting back into shape after her 2-year suspension for cocaine.
That’s fine. I’m glad she’s back. I won’t gawk at her like my two friends and I did, back when we caught her Wimbledon semis match against Kournikova in an a pub in Amersfoort, Holland back in 1997. Thing is, my Hingis-crush died when she started dating Sergio Garcia. Now I’m just rooting for her to become one of the best tennis players in the world again. It’s not going to happen, but I’ll probably watch at least a game or two. Or not.
Waiting for the Super Bowl…
– Monta Ellis looks like the happiest star of a team that’s lost 7 games in a row you’ll see in the NBA. Sure, the team is actually giving Coby Karl minutes, but Monta’s gaining the respect and countless handshake/hugs from the NBA community. He knows he’s good, and that for him, the Warriors are temporary. Too bad they aren’t for their fans.
– Watching a couple games of the Cobester on HD makes you wonder: did George Karl and Mike Dunleavy Sr. have kids with the same woman?
– Kobe Bryant needs to rest, for about three weeks.
– Stephen Curry needs to rest for about three days, but that won’t happen either.
– Sean Payton dressed up as a bellhop for the Saints’ hotel in an homage to Bill Walsh, who played the same character before Super Bowl XVI. Yep, still rooting for the Saints.
– Gotta love how there was word that Paul Pierce broke his foot and it was only sprained. Of course, this is the same guy who needed a wheel chair to get to the locker room in Game 1 of the 2008 Finals due to a knee injury that hardly bothered him the rest of the series. I’m beginning to wonder if instead of getting stabbed in that bar back in 2000, he actually just got stung by the same bee 11 times.